The Story Inn is actually an entire town, founded as a logging community in 1851. It is perhaps the best preserved example of a 19th century village that survives in the American Midwest.
The little town/inn is dominated by the old General Store and is now a gourmet restaurant. The remaining buildings in town, the Old Mill, Sawmill, several homes and out-buildings--serve as over night accomodations.
The town was founded by Dr. George Story and soon became the largest settlement in the area. In it's heyday (1880-1929) the village supported two general stores, a nondenominational church, a one-room schoolhouse, a grain mill, a sawmill, a slaughterhouse, a blacksmith's forge and a post office. It never recovered from the Great Depression (1929-1933), as families abandoned their hilly,marginal farms in search of work elsewhere.
The second floor of the Old General Store has been renovated into four quaint bed & breakfast accomodations notable for their year-round occupant, the "Blue Lady". The Blue Lady is a mirthful albeit innocuous apparition with flowing white robes, whose cheeky behavior has been observed by Story Inn employees and recorded in guest books since the 1970's.